Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Listening and Remembering

This is extremely hard for couples, even though it seems that listening and remembering are primitive, easy things to do for the person you love. However, it can be easy to forget and not listen 100 percent, especially in today's society, where multitasking is as common the technology we use to do it.

For example, when my boyfriend told me last week that he was doing community service at a local school, I was really proud of him and excited. However, when he was telling me that on the phone I was finishing the last problem of my homework, mentally checking it off my to-do list, and packing my bag for class. At the end of the day, I forgot to ask him how his service event went. He isn't the kind of person to just bring it up to me. He wanted me to remember, and I didn't until the next week.

Although it seems like this is not a huge deal, when it becomes a habit it is. It also means a lot to someone when you show them that you are truly listening and care about what they are saying. To do that, it's important to actively listen. Take the time to put everything else aside and focus on what your partner is saying. Make a note of what they are doing so that you remember to ask him/her about it.

This is just another one of those little things you can do to improve your relationship and make your partner feel appreciated and cared about.

No comments:

Post a Comment