Saturday, February 26, 2011

Secrets to a Successful Marriage

My name is Laura Gutjahr.

I grew up believing that there was one special person out there and I just needed to find him.  Fate would ensure that our paths crossed at the right time.  We would live happily ever after.

Over time I realized that finding a partner had a lot more to do with personal choices than fate.  I had to figure out what my life goals were and find someone who shared similar goals and had similar values.  I also needed that person to be my friend.  This involved a lot more work than my original theory.

I've been happily married for 22 years and offer the following relationship advice:

Expect a lot from your partner - and give at least as much in return.

Always treat your partner as if he were your best friend, he should be.

Don't stop working on your relationship - if you do it will end.

No comments:

Post a Comment